ORENCO Hydropower has brought together the necessary expertise to develop hydropower assets at a significant cost advantage. We offer:
BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT AND MANAGEMENT EXPERTISE
Our founders have successfully developed and launched a wide range of companies, including:
- ORENCO, Inc. – A hydro engineering, procurement and construction management firm
- Strategic Decisions Group – A renowned corporate strategy consulting company
- Power Management Associates – A consulting company negotiating attractive power purchase agreements and custom power rates for large industrial and commercial customers
- Energy Systems Engineers – A developer of on-site dispatchable generation for large industrial customers and corporate data centers
- Industrial Decisions Inc. (IDI) – A highly successful JV with Mizuho Securities providing strategy consulting services to almost all of the major Japanese utilities
- Windpole Ventures – The "Bloomberg of Wind Information," enabling faster, more thoughtful wind resource development in the United States
- Alpha Detail – A rapidly growing global market research consulting company focused on the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industries
- Gambill Financial Group – Providers of accounting services
ORENCO Hydropower's founders have also been responsible for the successful management of these companies, as well as senior leadership positions in several other companies, including:
- Stanford Linear Accelerator Center (SLAC)
- AT&T Bell Labs
- Stone and Webster
HYDRO ENGINEERING AND PROCUREMENT EXPERTISE
ORENCO’S founder, the late Dr. Alex Tseng (1921 - 2013) was responsible for the design of 46 operating hydropower facilities – 30 in the U.S., 15 in China and one in Central America. These range in size from 10 kW to over 30 MW.
PROPRIETARY AND COST-ADVANTAGED TECHNOLOGY & RELATIONSHIPS
Dr. Tseng developed innovative technologies that are likely to enhance significantly the development of low-head dams in the U.S. and elsewhere. These include proprietary intake structures and turbine design for capturing the hydrokinetic energy at existing dams. The hydrokinetic energy of water flowing over existing low-head dams is seldom captured. Almost all existing dams with hydropower capability stop the water behind the dam, thus losing the kinetic energy of the flowing water. An initial study by a team led by Illinois Institute of Technology (IIT), ORENCO, and Strategic Decisions Group forecasts that this potential lost energy is significant and could increase the existing generating capacity by 10-40% at many existing low-head hydropower facilities. There is a pending patent on the design for this hydrokinetic intake device and turbine.
Dr. Tseng was also the driving force behind the design and development of the Self-Adjusting Flood Control Gates that have been deployed on over 200 major hydro projects in China. These gates are rapidly becoming the standard means for both raising the level of existing dams and for creating impoundment facilities on rivers at low cost. This revolutionary technology is rapidly replacing Tainter Gates and rubber dams because of its lower capital and operating cost. Powered only by pressure of the water, these gates have the ability to open during flood conditions and close when flood conditions have passed. Dr. Tseng filed a patent on the Self-Adjusting Flood Gates. (For more information, click here.)
In addition, ORENCO’s lengthy and deep relationships with Chinese hydro engineering and turbine and generator manufacturing firms over 30 years have created a cost-advantaged supply chain. These long-time associations have enabled ORENCO to provide hydro engineering and equipment that is 30-50% less than most European suppliers.
POWER MARKET EXPERTISE
ORENCO Hydropower’s management team has over 30 years of combined experience in corporate strategy, generation asset valuation and environmental strategy for U.S. and Japanese utilities. They have supervised strategy projects for clients that represent nearly 50% of the U.S. regulated and unregulated generating capacity, and nearly 100% of Japanese generating capacity. Their expertise provides extensive knowledge of the U.S. power markets, including:
- Renewable energy credits (RECs)
- CO2 offsets
- Ancillary service pricing
- A deep understanding of how the utilities approach and value long-term power purchase agreements (PPAs)
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT LEADERSHIP
SDG has been leader in project and investment portfolio management, ensuring scarce resources are allocated to the highest-value investment opportunities. This work has been critical to the success of many companies in the power and oil & gas industries. This expertise is important to develop and optimize of a portfolio of hydro assets as they progress through the complex regulatory process.
Jim Holeman has worked for over 30 years on complex project siting and regulatory matters related to hydropower projects. This includes extensive work with the FERC and other regulatory bodies that oversee the licensing and permitting of hydro projects.
PROJECT FINANCING AND FINANCIAL ENGINEERING
ORENCO Hydropower, Ulu Ventures and Jim Lang (formerly President of Cambridge Energy Research Associates [CERA]) are working together to enable low-cost financing for the small hydro projects and take advantage of tax equity financing available to small hydro projects.