ORENCO Hydropower's business focuses on five areas:
- 1. Retain our position as the leading supplier of cost-advantaged Chinese turbines & generators, as well as associated equipment & engineering services
- 2. Develop and finance small hydropower projects
- 3. Optimize the design and engineering of turbine/generator systems with other hydro developers
- 4. Build a highly advantaged network of engineering and development partners
- 5. Develop and finance small distributed gas generation projects
Here are details on each:
1. COST-ADVANTAGED TURBINES & GENERATORS
We resell and integrate reliable Chinese turbines (including Kaplan, Francis, Pelton and specialty designs), generators, valves, and associated engineering services to other hydro developers – at significant cost advantages. These pricing benefits are enabled by our unique, trusted relationships with Chinese suppliers, in place for over 30 years. Our target projects range in size from 1 – 50 MW. ORENCO has been the provider of turbines, generators and control equipment for 30 small hydropower projects in the U.S. ranging from about 1 MW to over 30 MW. In this role, we are the primary supplier of Chinese hydropower equipment to the U.S., and are experts in identifying the lowest cost provider of highly reliable equipment for both large custom designs and smaller packaged systems.
2. PROJECT DEVELOPMENT & FINANCING
We finance and develop small 1 MW to 30 MW hydropower projects at existing dams and waterways. Our team brings together the full range of expertise needed to develop projects – including asset selection, project design and optimization; permitting and licensing; development financing; and engineering, procurement and construction management.
3. HYDROPOWER SYSTEM OPTIMIZATION
ORENCO also provides the necessary engineering and economic expertise to optimize the design and minimize the economic risk of new hydropower projects. Bringing together a detailed understanding of the project cost, including ways to enhance the project revenues and reduce the project financing costs, enables us to increase the value of our clients' projects in various ways:
- 10-20% reduction in overall project cost through reductions in turbine, generator and detailed engineering
- 5-25% increase in revenues through enhanced PPA and tariff design – leveraging our 20+ years of experience working with electric utilities in system planning and rate design
- Increased probability of development success through regulatory expertise
- Reduced financing costs by providing our investors the much lower risk inherent in a portfolio of projects.
4. HIGHLY ADVANTAGED HYDROPOWER NETWORK
ORENCO Hydropower has developed a network of engineers, constructors, and development partners that can cost-effectively address the full range of issues related to hydropower development, engineering and construction.
5. GAS RECIPROCATING ENGINES
We also develop projects using very high efficiency gas reciprocating engines. These 5-8 MW units leverage low natural gas prices and a 49% efficiency (7850 heat rate) to create energy well below retail rates, while protecting industrial and commercial customers against power outages. In many locations, the units enable large cost-savings through peak shaving.